Hunt Rd. home suffers chimney fire

By Richard E. Mabie
Chief, Warren County Fire & Rescue Dept.

Warren County fire and rescue units culminated a busy weekend in the early morning hours of Monday morning, February 21, 2011 by responding to a reported house fire at 380 Hunt Road, off Totten Lane, in the western portion of the county. Units arrived on scene to find fire coming from the rear wall around the chimney, as well as the rear roof area of a single story single family house. The occupants had already exited the house prior to fire units arrival.

Firefighters entered the dwelling to find fire in the rear walls from the ground to the roof area, around the chimney. Investigation revealed that the fire started in or around the chimney and spread in the walls and ceiling. Apparent cause was a failure in the chimney. Fire crews were able to bring the fire under control with-in 23 minutes.

The dwelling owner was Jerry Poe. Mr. Poe and his companion were sleeping, but were alerted to the fire by their properly working smoke detector. Mr. Poe investigated and found the smoke filling the first floor in the area of the wood stove and chimney, as well as showing through the wall and roof area of the home on then outside. All occupants escaped uninjured. Damage was limited to the rear wall and the roof area. Estimated damage to the structure is $35,000.

Fire and rescue crews remained on the scene until 04:56 AM to perform salvage and overhaul. The home was left temporarily uninhabitable and Mr. and Mrs. Vance will stay with friends. No injuries were reported to any fire and rescue personnel.


First Alarm: 3:55 am – Engines 8, 2, 10, Chief 100
Second Tone: 4:11 am – Strasburg 51 and 25
On Scene: 4:08 am – Engine 2, Chief 100
Under Control: 4:31 am – Under Control
Cleared: 6:15 am – Cleared

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.